Monday, May 2, 2011

Going RAW!

We needed to do something that would significantly change our lives...we want to be healthy, live longer and of course pass along healthy habits to our children.
What we decided to do was to eat 50% raw. Sounds kind of drastic..but honestly we needed a lifestyle change and this is step one. I was a vegetarian for about 4 years so this kind of change isn't too strange. I knew we didn't want to be vegetarian's this go around..my husband could never give up his steak! So I did a lot of research and to us going raw makes perfect sense. Our bodies treat cooked food when more than 50%(daily) is consumed like an infection. Steadily increasing white blood cells and treating the food you eat like it's a poison that needs to be fought off. They also believe this can be the cause of cancer's and many other health issues we have today...and on that note I will say eating raw foods has even been proven to reverse a lot of health issues. I suggest watching "Food Matters" and "Food Inc"..if you are interested in knowing more about my reasons for changing :)
We now buy our meat from a local butcher and will buy as many organic products that we can. It was something my husband and I easily agreed on. About 4 major corporations handle all the meat in the world..not to mention the inhumane aspect accompanied by such large demand for meat...the growth hormone...is real! So scary that you aren't allowed to see where your food comes from...and the only way to make a change is to show these companies we want organic-free range-no growth hormone-pesticide free-natural foods for our bodies. That way they have no option but to provide it. The extra expense is worth it! There is no way a big-mac should cost less than a bushel of broccoli. Americans should be able to eat healthy no matter what their budget...so if those who are able make some changes actually follow through then we can pave the way for those who currently cannot and eventually make organic the new norm!
We need a healthier America, but that's a battle I can't fight. What I can do is make sure my daughter has the right tools for making healthy choices. By eating foods that will fuel her mind and body and not hurt them. I don't want to be misunderstood so I will clarify that she still eats cooked foods and even has "treats"..so I am not making her sacrifice what other kids are exposed to. We are not super strict, this is why we are doing 50%..a lot of people are 100% raw.
I was scared when I first saw the "truth" about the foods of today and that prompted our change. I am excited about this and will be sharing more about it occasionally :)

Below you will see an example of what I feed Emerson. This is what she ate today.

Breakfast is usually a smoothie made with
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 sliced banana
3/4 cups mix of blueberries/strawberries/blackberries
1 teaspoon organic honey

A mini blueberry bagel
Which is just a regular brand at any grocery store

And the other half of the banana from her smoothie

SNACKS: which I offer quite often and randomly through the day

She will eat any of the below:
Banana chips
Raisins(yogurt covered and regular)
Carrot sticks
Dried fruit
Fig newtons
Graham crackers
Organic fruit snacks
Organic cheese crackers

And I know she eats others I just can't remember of the top of my head.

LUNCH:

Cut up organic pear/apple/mango/watermelon/oranges/plum/kiwi
I usually have at least 3 of the above in the fridge and rotate daily.

A few grapes
And a couple blueberries

The side options will change too depending on what I have :)

And she gets 2 pieces of cheese "Mickey mouse shapes"

She also drink's juice with her lunch.

DINNER: I had no pictures of dinner :( it was hectic tonight. My one year old is suffering from terrible two's :/

But she had:

Raw Organic butternut squash cubed
Raw Organic broccoli heads
Marinated and cooked organic chicken breast (cut up of course)

No comments:

Post a Comment